Do you use lanterns in your decorating? If not, you might want to consider them.
Lanterns and of course, lantern swags, are something I think every home should have as a basic décor element because they make one of the best and easiest décor accents for your seasonal, holiday and year-round decorating!
Some elements in décor are simply trends, other elements, like lanterns, seem to continue to fit into all styles and types of decorating.
They are so versatile!
Lanterns can be pricey, but you can find some great buys on “end of season sales” as well as regular sales at your favorite décor store so starting a collection is pretty easy. I suggest, if possible (and you find a great deal) starting with two that are between 15-30 inches.
- They come so many shapes, sizes and colors
- They come in so many decorator styles from farmhouse to modern
- They come in so many finishes from natural wood to metal
- They come in open styles or enclosed with glass
- They are easy to move from one vignette to another
- They look wonderful grouped together in various sizes
- They work equally well inside or outside on porches and patios
I have several different kinds and sizes of lanterns that I use for various holidays and especially for those between seasons and holiday times. I admit it, I love them.
- Matching lanterns anchor a mantel design
- I love using them for a focal point to a vignette on coffee tables, sofa tables and entryway tables
- They make amazing centerpieces for a long tables or buffets
- A small lantern fits on night tables in bedrooms or in a guest bath
- Extra Large and tall lanterns look amazing outside on porches or steps for seasonal decorating
And the list goes on…
Ok – so now you have the lantern (or lanterns) that you want…here are some decorating ideas and inspiration!
They make the perfect add on for all kinds of lanterns and allow you to make your lantern perfect for seasonal decorating, holidays all year and of course for every day decorating (between those holiday and seasonal times).
Here at the garden, we love lantern swags as well as bows and both are very popular. Some holidays are naturally whimsical like Halloween and Mardi Gras with glitter and glitz
Other, like Christmas tend to follow color schemes with a touch of elegance, snow covered seasonal greenery, or again glitz, glitter and whimsical fun.
Spring lantern swags incorporate all the elements of the season, butterflies, birds’ eggs, sometimes even nests! Soft pastels and lots of spring blooms and greenery combined with gorgeous spring ribbon celebrate the season.
Summer patriotic swags make your 4th of July table sparkle (couldn’t resist).
And, fall swags are full of all the goodness of autumn – from leaves, to acorns, berries and vines, even pumpkins, gourds and much more!
I even enjoy making them in all greenery designs to use for everyday decorating.
Just as lanterns come in all styles from farmhouse, to modern, from French Country to rustic country chic; so do our lantern swags! You can see all my lantern swags in my ETSY shop here:
The other option is a large, full, gorgeous bow that will sit atop your lantern with long “tails” trailing down. Check out our bows in the shop because we have bows for all the seasons, holiday and year round designs as well.
And, here’s a great idea: Lantern swags make wonderful gifts as well for someone who already uses lanterns in their décor.
Check out all our bows in our ETSY shop here: www.etsy.com.shop/acountrygarden
I hope this gives you information on lanterns (and lantern décor) as well as inspiration to use them in your decorating!
Please let me know what you think in comments below or if you have any questions.
Happy Lantern Decorating!